Friday, April 9, 2010

Reflections

I woke up this morning with butterflies in my stomach knowing that it was the big day of the presentation. My lines were flashing past my head. Even whilst walking to school, I was reciting my lines, just to ingrain them in my memory.

10:00 am: Brad said that we had another 5 minutes to go up to present. I shall not panic. I shall not panic.

10:03 am: Oh my gosh! What have I gotten myself into?

10:05 am: Let’s just get this show on the road.

10:30 am: It is finally over!! * Breathes a huge sigh of relief*

Haha. The oral presentation has been like hanging like a ominous cloud over my head ever since the proposal was due two weeks ago. Not only that, it has been a hectic two weeks of intensive preparation for the presentation, slides to finish up, recommendations to come up with, writing our lines and the NEVER-ENDING need to edit our slides. Now that it’s over, I can finally look back and say it was worth it all :P

Throughout the presentation, I made an effort to vary my tone whist presenting so that it would not become too monotonous. By doing so, I wanted to make my argument more compelling as well and emphasize on the problem and how the recommendations could help. Furthermore, I tried to stand in front of the audience and draw their attention to me too. This was out of my comfort zone I must admit, to thrust myself into the center of attention. This was aided further by trying to maintain eye contact with the audience. Although I admit, I was a bit unnerved at first. But I wanted to bring my points across to the audience and make them feel like they were part of this discussion and not just an onlooker. Also, since I wanted the audience to be focusing their attention to me. I tried as little as possible to refer to the slides. Lastly, I tried to pace and slow my speech as well as articulate it to allow the audience to digest the information given to them.

One major part which I can improve on would be to do away with cue cards. Unlike Deenise and Shih Han, I felt that I had to hold some cue cards as a form of security, just in case I forgot any point while presenting and start panicking midway. Furthermore, when I took over the presentation from Kellyn, I was so nervous that I had to refer to my cue cards at the beginning when my mind went blank. But further into the presentation, I got into the flow of giving the presentation and didn’t need to refer to the cue cards anymore. But there were sometimes where I had to pause to gather my thoughts. But, I must say that I still need more practice in this area. Also, previously it was brought up that my voice tends to waver towards the end. I hope that my voice didn’t waver at the end though. Although I still need to practice on voice projection.

Legally Blonde: Thanks girls for all your hard work! For all the suggestions made on how to improve our presentation and for taking time out of your busy schedules and being there for all the meetings (:

12 Comments:

Blogger d. said...

Hi Tiff!

First of all, THANK YOU THANK YOU!X 10 MILLIONS!

Seriously, I really appreciate all your efforts .You have really contributed alot. If not for your efforts to find a suitable theme for our presentation slides, we would not have created created such professional powerpoint slides for our presentation.

Well, due to the lack of time, we did not manage to give critique on each other's presentation skills. I guess we have spent too much time giving critiques on the slides and content!

I must say you have improved alot from your previous presentations!Love your loud voice! It is screaming at the back of my head.(LOL)As you move on the next couple of slides, you were slightly less nervous and was more firm on the the tone of your voice. And that sets the ideal "tone" for our presentation.

Go! Legally Blonde!

April 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM

 
Blogger lin said...

Hey Tiffany..

Since I was 'supposed' to comment on your delivery in the presentation, I naturally had to focus more on your presentation than the others but I still had to say that you were pretty good. I do agree that you were slightly nervous at the start of your presentation but you slowly calmed down and your delivery became smoother. On rare occasions, you seemed to be staring into space to think about what you had to say but I feel that its forgivable since you are not professionally trained. Overall, I think your voice projection and engagement of the audience had improved a lot since the start of the course. :D

April 11, 2010 at 6:54 PM

 
Blogger shihhan said...

Hello Tiff! (: Thanks for the fantastic slides you did! (:
I think your presentation was good and your voice projection improved! I think you were louder this time round and more confident of your presentation! Yay! (((:

April 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM

 
Blogger ♥tiffany said...

Hey girls,

Thanks for the feedback.

Deenise and Shih Han: It's finally over! No more scratching our heads and thinking what we shoud be doing, or if we were doing things the right way. Loved doing the entire project with you guys <3

Lin: Yeah, I realized that I have the tendency to look into space when I'm trying to formulate my speech and doing a speed check on it whether it is sound. Will try to work on that. Thanks for the encouragement too :)

April 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM

 
Blogger Valarie said...

"I will talk on Tiffany's presentation yesterday morning first. I feel that Tiffany has improved a great deal in her presentation skills as compared to her peer teaching! Great job, girl! She was much louder this time and spoke at a rather appropriate speed. Emphasis improved quite a bit as well, although there is still room for improvement. =)

Her eye contact with the audience was generally fine. It must have taken her a lot of pluck to do that. However, she seemed to get nervous towards the end of the presentation because of a small blunder and somewhat lost her poise, but she regained it soon after. So overall, I observed an obvious improvement in her presentation this time round. Great job!"

This was copied from my blog! I did not know that we are supposed to comment on your blog entry instead of making my own entry. Sorry for the incredible blurness.

April 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM

 
Blogger d. said...

Hey Tiffany,

I forgot to include some minor points which you might want to take note of during your next presentation.

- Speak slower during presentation.

- You may want to leave your glasses at home.It's my personal preference to not wear glasses so that the audience could establish better eye contact with the presenter. All these little details are rather important to me because it makes a difference.

April 12, 2010 at 4:11 AM

 
Blogger Jude Too Soon Yee said...

I agree with everyone that you have improved a whole lot from the peer teaching. The first time round I thought you were a little soft but this time there was no such problem. You tried to look around the room to have eye contact as well. Stepping out of one's comfort zone is never easy but you did it and I congratulate your courage! Most importantly was that you have learnt something from the course. See you in class on thursday!

Cheers,
sy

April 12, 2010 at 8:53 PM

 
Blogger See Chai said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM

 
Blogger See Chai said...

Hey Tiffany

I think you did well in your presentation on Thursday. Compared to your peer teaching I think your voice projection was much better. Actually I remembered 1 thing that went through my head when you were presenting and that is your voice was rather refreshing to hear. (Despite the fact that I was filled with anxiety)


I guess with this new found confidence you can now work on being more interactive with the crowd. Not sure if it was you but I think you did pace about a little right. I think that added to the interaction. If there was more interaction it would be great.

If there is one word that I would use to describe it would be

refreshing.

Cheers,
See Chai

April 12, 2010 at 10:37 PM

 
Blogger ♥tiffany said...

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments.

Deenise: I realize that when I'm nervous, I do tend to speak a bit faster. On the other hand, I don't think that wearing glasses would be a big problem. But that's just me.

Valerie: Haha. It's alright. Yups, I agree that I still have room for improvement in areas such as voice projection and eye contact.

Soon Yee: Thanks for the encouragement :)And yes, I have learnt so much from this course. I think everyone has too.

See Chai: Yes I do agree that having more interaction with the audience would be great and it'll be another step out of my comfort zone I must admit. But nevertheless, I will try :)

April 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM

 
Blogger KELLYN said...

Hey Tiff!

You're our powerpoint girl! Really appreciate the effort you put in to change our powerpoint on the eve of our presentation but it was all worth it after all! :)

I couldn't tell you were nervous at all! But anyhow, great job done. You were always the calm and collected one in our group and that really showed during the presentation. :)

Really enjoyed the process of working with you guys and bonding with you girls. Legally Blonde all the way! <3

April 14, 2010 at 2:42 AM

 
Blogger ♥tiffany said...

Kellyn :)

Haha. I was like jello inside. Glad I did not seem like that to you. It's been a pleasure working with you too <3

April 16, 2010 at 11:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home