Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In the end...

4 reasons why you SHOULD take up ES2007S:

1. It is a seriously FUN module (minus the hectic deadlines)

I have enjoyed myself this past 13 weeks, even though it has been a whirlwind of lessons and application of various skills. It is definitely not your typical module. The activities in class are interactive and interesting. I especially liked the part of being peer taught. I felt that we could relate better to the lessons, having our peers go through the lessons with us. Furthermore, it made the lessons more alive with the various activities that each peer teaching group had prepared.

2. It’ll hone your professional skills

It is the first time that I have actually done a presentation in NUS. Prior to this, my presentation experiences encompassed of only one other formal presentation in JC. Furthermore, it was also the first time where we had to limit the number of words on the visual aids. This put on more pressure on me to know my content better as I would not have any back up on screen.
Adding to that, there were resume and cover letter writing practices, which I found very useful. Also, the interview process topped off the entire ‘stuff to do to get hired’ process. I am one to fret whenever there I have to attend an interview. In fact, I abhor interviews. But this interview process was fun and gave me an insight to what interviewers might be looking out for during an interview and this would help prepare me for interviews in the future.

3. You’ll make loads of friends (:

Initially, I was rather skeptical about being placed randomly in groups to carry out our proposal. This brought me out of my comfort zone, and I had to adapt to working with ‘strangers’. But I must say, it has been one of the best experiences during the course. Not only did I make more friends, but it brought the entire class together. Now, I can confidently say that I would be more open to working with people whom I am unfamiliar with in the future.

4. And of course! You’ll learn communication skills!

How hard could communication skills be? That was what I assured myself while bidding for this module. Boy! Could I ever be more wrong? It has been a hectic 13 weeks of learning and applying the various skills. This module encompasses so many communication skills and there was so little time to teach every single one in depth. We breezed through the various topics week after week. And then work started pouring in; we had to prepare for the peer teaching, proposal writing and finally oral presentation. All these projects incorporated many communication skills in them. Ranging from oral to listening skills, there was a constant exposure to these skills that it was more or less ingrained in us.

10 Comments:

Blogger shihhan said...

Hello Tiff! I totally agree with the points you mentioned above! That was what came to my mind too when I took the module. How hard could communication skills be! It turned out that both of us were very wrong isn't it? (((: However, the friendships that we both gained from the module as well as the soft skills that were taught in this module would be enough to make up for the cons isn't it? (: Cheers! See you around! All the best for your papers

April 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

 
Blogger d. said...

Hi Tiffany,

I have read several other blog posts from our fellow classmates. Everyone said that the skills learn in this module is useful.Your blog post leads me to think that whether just one communication module is sufficient.This module has served to increase awareness of effective communication skills but 13 weeks isn't just enough practice each skills. As you have mentioned in your blog post, "there is so little time to teach every single skill in depth." Thus, should there be a level 3 to this module?ES3010S?

April 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

 
Blogger Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Tiff, for this well organized, clear and concise final reflection. I really appreciate the way you've presented this as reasons for taking ES2007S. It's as if you're proposing an action on the part of other students based on four detailed supports. Well done!

It's been a pleasure working with you this term. You might not have been the most active or vocal person in class, but I remember you making fine comments and having a definite presence in your research team. I applaud your efforts and wish you the very best in the future.

April 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM

 
Blogger lin said...

Hey Tiffany

I think if someone were to ask me about whether they should take this module, I will probably give them the same reasons as you. Yes.. Deadlines seemed like they were never ending and there were tonnes of assignments to complete every single week. On top of these, we had to do things that we will never have done normally, like presentations, research, etc. But we had all learnt valuable lessons and enjoyed the whole process. It was nice knowing you. Funny how we never knew each other from a life science course but in a communication module instead. Hope to see you around!

April 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM

 
Blogger ♥tiffany said...

Thanks everyone for your comments :)

Shihhan: It has been great knowing you. Funny how perceptions change over time isn't it?

Deenise: Haha. A level 3000 communications module? Won't the work load be even heavier? :P Haha. But sure, we can propose that to Brad. If there's a level 3000 module, I'm sure most of our class mates would be back for more, seeing as it is the friendships that have been forged.

Brad: I have really enjoyed myself in your classes. I especially liked it when you related your own experiences to us. All the best:))

Lin: I would definitely recommend to them this course. No doubt there are so many things to do and deadlines to be met. But the process of doing all these has broadened my knowledge of the working world especially. Furthermore, this module has been so very different from the normal 'boring' modules. It has been my pleasure getting to know you. Haha. Now I can say I have one more friend in life science :D


All the best for exams :)))

April 22, 2010 at 1:05 AM

 
Blogger Iris Chan said...

I will raise both my hands in full support of the four points you made! For one, I underestimated the toughness of this module but it rewarded me with much more than I thought it would.

Thank you, and all the best!

April 22, 2010 at 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Ranmali said...

You've summarized everything I feel towards the module perfectly. I think you're right on par when you call it a "whirlwind" of lessons. It was, wasn't it. Deadline after deadline after assignment after assignment after blog post after blog post. It was a good thing we all enjoyed it!

I'm really glad this module turned out to be the best choice for an elective for all of us. Here's hoping I see you around in school - if I do Life Science too, can't be too hard right? All the best!

April 22, 2010 at 1:27 AM

 
Blogger ♥tiffany said...

Haha. I see that you girls are online too :))

Iris: I do think many of us have the misunderstanding that communication skills are easy. I'm glad the you have enjoyed yourself as I have during this course.

Ranmali: Yes, I am glad that I took up this course. Getting to know each one of you and the learning process was worth it all. Cliche-ish as it may sound :)Life Science is huge. Haha.

See you girls around <3

April 22, 2010 at 2:22 AM

 
Blogger vanessa said...

Hi Tiff!
I will definitely have to agree with you on all the 4 points! Similarly, I was quite skeptical of this module and also skeptical of bring placed in random groups for the project but I am glad that we did so and that we made good friends in the process!I also feel that I an more open to working with unfamilar people, which is going to be the case when we go to work in the future. The interview section was definitely fun and useful as it will mentally prepare us for future interviews! I am so glad that all of us survived through the hectic 13 weeks of ES2007s!

All the best for your exams, Tiff!

April 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM

 
Blogger ♥tiffany said...

Van!

We survived, didn't we :))) I'm so glad that I took this module with you and Deenise. Wiki-mates <3

April 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home